Collection of Maps (17th–20th century)
Sections "S" and "T" – Collection of Maps and Collection of Plans
These two sections have been formed and developed simultaneously thus their structure is practically identical. This explains their common introduction.
The core of the two sections is formed by maps and blueprints selected from various record units of the Archives. In the beginning, the only respect of selection was the irregular shape and size of the maps and plans which made their storage difficult together with other documents. This meant that the selected maps and plans were placed into the collection regardless of their originating agency, institution, authority or family. Between 1925 and
Besides the two major collections selected from the governmental and family archives, the material of the two sections contains other valuable source material such as the records of the Royal Chamber Cartographic Directorate (Königliche Kameralische Mappirungs-Direction), the documents and maps of the Institute of Hydrography or the remaining fragment of the National Geodesic Institute’s documents. The records of the cadastral survey of 1786–1789 contain 224 maps mainly of the localities of
In the series of "The Map Catalogue of the National Archives of Hungary", the description of the Chamber’s and Lieutenancy Council’s maps has appeared in print. For the computerised version of the catalogue the preparation of piece-level descriptions is in progress.
Besides the above mentioned two major series, the Collection of Plans also contains such valuable personal legacies as the Schikedanz-Herczog, Gerster, Feszl or Samu Pecz legacies.
Finding aids: Two series card-index